Saturday, November 15, 2008

Williamsburg Redux


Colonial Williamsburg (CW) held such charm for me during my brief stop two months ago that I was compelled to return for another visit before beginning my tour of Latin America. CW combines many of my favorite things: a meticulously recreated "living history" museum and wonderfully costumed actor/interpretors portraying historical characters through staged re-enactments of famous moments in history.


CW owns most of the buildings in the historic area but only a few are open to the public; most of the rest are leased to CW employees as apartments. My friend Matt (CW sound technician) arranged for me to stay with two CW actor/interpreters at their home in the center of the CW historic district. Meg and Kevin (and their black lab puppy, India) live in the restored Hartwell Perry's Tavern, and I stayed in their very comfortable guest suite. We had two lovely dinner parties during my visit, including one prepared by Brent, a professional chef and friend of Matt's. Yummy!

My week in Virginia was fairly unstructured. I wandered through the historic trade shops (silversmith, gunsmith, blacksmith, wigmaker, bookbinder, etc.) and attended many CW programs, including a candlelight concert in the ballroom of the Governor's Palace featuring 18th century instruments. And even though I'd seen it during my last visit, I was again impressed with the Revolutionary City programs, enacted by costumed character/interpreters
throughout the day. I especially enjoyed George Washington's Farewell Address, which had inspired me to return for this follow-up visit to CW. If you're not familiar with it, I highly encourage you to read the text. It remains as relevant today as it was at the end of George Washington's Presidency in the 18th century. Powerful stuff.


I was surprisingly moved by the CW Veteran's Day activities. The Fife & Drum Corps led the parade, followed by veteran CW employees, then the local VFW, DAV and other established veterans' organizations carrying their colors (flags), then all the veterans in the audience were invited to join in the procession down the historic main street into the parade grounds for an assembly behind the courthouse. One of the senior CW leaders presided over the ceremony, and two of the character/interpreters spoke to the crowd. It seemed that the number of veterans in the march equaled those watching from the sidelines. Since CW is so close to several military bases I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I found it extremely moving nonetheless. I imagine CW is a good place to be during any of America's memorial holidays, considering all the "birth of a nation" stuff that happened here :)

(Photos)

Where to Eat
* Millie's Diner in Richmond. Great for breakfast. Get there early to order a "mess" and get a plate of eggs, meat, vegetables and cheese big enough to share. Coffee comes in bottomless mugs, and service is prompt and friendly.
* Aromas Coffeehouse & Bakeshop in Merchant Square. A favorite hangout while I was in CW, with free wireless and decent food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Expect to share tables with William & Mary college students.
* The Trellis Restaurant in Merchant Square. I only made it there for dessert, but would readily go back for dinner. Unpretentious service and killer chocolate desserts. Best known for "Death by Chocolate", a towering seven-layer confection with cake, ganache, mousse, and crunchy meringue. Enough to feed a party of four!
* King's Arms Tavern in the historic district. Try a sampling of 18th century fare in an authentically restored tavern while being occasionally visited by costumed characters who share insight into their lives.

What to Do
Explore Colonial Williamsburg!
* Ask questions in the trade shops.
* Explore the historic buildings.
* Take in some evening programs.
* Dewitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum.

I remain enchanted with the CW Foundation and their mission: "That the Future may Learn from the Past". I can easily see why so many people are so passionate about working here, and I could see myself involved with an organization like this in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks very clean for colonial times.