Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jonesborough, TN

Jonesborough is the oldest town in Tennessee, founded in 1779. Presidents Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson and James Polk spent time here. It is a lovely, quaint town with benches lining Main Street inviting visitors to sit with an ice cream cone and watch the world go by. Jonesborough is also home to the International Storytelling Center. Every bookstore and coffee shop advertised evening storytelling hours. Though I didn't stay long enough to join in, I imagine any of the dozen or so guided tours of the town are simply fantastic. I probably should have stayed to check it out.

I was struck by the contrast between this place and other historic towns I've recently visited. This is clearly a place proud of its long history, but unlike the others, this town seems to embrace its evolution. Historical sites from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries co-exist here. You'll find a log cabin once owned by Andrew Jackson across the street from the first abolitionist print shop and a block from 1940's vintage soda fountain/sweets shop. I truly enjoyed exploring the carefully recreated 17th century Jamestowne and 18th century Colonial Williamsburg, but I felt that I had re-entered the real world within the comfortable and natural mix of history in Jonesborough.

(Photos)

No comments: