Monday, September 29, 2008

Home -- for a little while

The border crossing line was long and slow, and when I arrived at the guard booth I discovered why. The border guard was cheery and chatty and before we finished he tried to convince me to take a detour to Mt Baker, and had several other suggestions for places to visit. Funny. At this point, of course, I was ready to head home.

I knew I was back in Washington State with my first sighting of a roadside espresso stand. I still remember my first visit to the state in 1995, when I marveled that all the old Fotomat booths had been converted into espresso stands and transported into remote parking lots in tiny towns all over Western Washington. I still don't know how they manage to stay in business. Then again, I happily paid nearly $3.50 for a "grande caramel-hazelnut latte" (the day's special). I don't even especially *like* lattes, but for some reason I just had to have one on this morning.

Before heading home to Seattle, I stopped in nearby Redmond for a nice breakfast of pumpkin pancakes at the Village Square restaurant with my dear friend Keith and his daughter Sarah. By mid-day I'd arrived at my apartment. The slide-show chronicles my arrival...

(Photos)

No comments: