Thursday, September 25, 2008

Blasting through southern Canada

I've learned that it is possible to travel for two entire days without speaking to anyone. With pay-at-the-pump for gas, boondock camping, and eating whatever food I have in my camp pantry, I don't really *have* to talk to anyone. This a very different approach to travel than I've taken in earlier legs of this trip. It's not that I've turned completely anti-social, I just haven't been able to find anyone I wanted to talk to. (It doesn't help that I'm fighting a cold, I suppose.) Even when cruising intentionally 25 KM off route in search of a diner or tavern where the locals would go, all I can find are other travelers.

I've been back and forth from Seattle to the midwest at least a dozen times and I'm having a hard time getting excited about doing it again. For this trip, I decided to head north from Minneapolis to Winnipeg and cut across Trans-Canada 1 to Vancouver. Turns out there's really nothing between Winnipeg and Calgary except farmland... much like what you'd find along I-90 or US 2 just south of here.

Fortunately, I'll be in the Rockies near Banff NP tomorrow. Even if I can't find anyone to talk to, at least there will be something other than farm fields to look at!

No comments: