Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Birthday in Sachaca

Just a quick note to capture a crazy day at school.

Every month GVI hosts a birthday celebration for all the kids who had a birthday in the past month. There's cake and fancy fruit salad for everyone, and the birthday kids each get a gift. Today was our "cumpleanos" celebration. It just happens that my birthday is May 7, and somehow the teachers at our school knew about it. And so after the kids were honored, I was called up to blow out a candle in the cake as well. Moments later, I had icing up my nostrils and cake gleefully smashed into my face by both of our teachers.

Shortly thereafter, the teachers sat me down and smashed several raw eggs on the top of my head, really grinding the shells into my hair. And giggling, I think.

It's for luck, they said :j


I can honestly say it's the most unusual birthday celebration I've ever had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I'll see you in Minnesota in July.