Monday, August 03, 2009

Family in Colorado. Who knew?

After leaving Wisconsin last Monday, my intention had been to make my way towards Boulder CO to explore for a few days, possibly camping in Estes Park (near the Rocky Mountain National Park) and finally head northwest to Seattle. The events of the past week are far more interesting and unexpected. And really way-out-there cool, in my opinion.

A little background: My folks split up when I was nine and I grew up with my Dad. We had very little contact with my Mom's side of the family since 1979. My mom's brother Jon had three boys, David, Daniel and Darin. A few weeks before I started on this current road trip, I heard from my youngest cousin Darin through Facebook. Through his profile I learned that he lived in Ft Collins CO. Since I was enchanted by Colorado Springs on my way northeast from Arizona, I decided to make my return trip to Seattle through the Denver area as well. The last time I saw my uncle's family was at a family reunion in Maine in 1986. My summer road trip seemed like a great opportunity to have a face-to-face meeting with my long-lost cousin.

So...

After two meandering days of travel from Wisconsin, I approached Ft Collins and sent Darin a Facebook message to see if we could connect for coffee or lunch or whatever. He said yes, and invited along his mother, my aunt Jan for lunch. It turns out that Jan and Darin both live with my cousin Daniel. Surprisingly, they were all planning a camping trip with my OTHER cousin David and his family in Estes Park for the weekend. Jan and Darin very warmly invited me to stay at their house through the week and then join them for the family camp out over the weekend. I said yes!!

While at Dan's place in Ft Collins, I helped out a bit with painting the living room, and had a blast preparing a dinner for everyone. Max had tons of fun playing with the dogs Wallace and Bella. Jan took me window shopping, Dan and Darin showed me the nightlife in town, and of course I went on the New Belgium Brewery tour. It was a great two days!


On Friday we all met at the Jellystone campground in Estes Park, at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain National Park. We were joined by David, his wife Karrie, kids Keelie and Von, and their dog Zack. I couldn't believe how welcoming everyone was, considering it had been 23 years since we'd been in contact! We had a fun time with all the activities available in the campground. Keelie did an AMAZING rendition of "Hit me with your best shot" in kid's karaoke and the gang played bingo for candy bars. We had campfires with fancy s'mores (one variation with Reese's peanut butter cups, and another with marshmallows folded into brownies with fresh raspberries. Yum!) On Saturday while the boys all went fishing, the girls hiked up Lily's Mountain for an incredible view of the valley. And I got to play another game of Triominoes (yay!!) Through the whole weekend Max got plenty of exercise out on his leash climbing trees and chasing chipmunks, thanks to Keelie and Von.

I'll spend the next few days on my own camping and exploring the towns of Boulder and Denver. I've promised Karrie and Keelie that I'll stay with them in Boulder on Wednesday night so Keelie can teach me to play dominoes. I look forward to keeping in more regular contact with this great "new" branch of the family that I've just rediscovered!


(link to slides)

RECAP
27-28 July
- transit to Colorado
- Effigy Mounds National Monument (Iowa)
- Homestead National Monument of America (Nebraska)
29-30 July
- Ft Collins CO (at Dan Bach's house)
- New Belgium Brewery tour (Ft Collins, CO)
31 July - 1 Aug
- Jellystone campground in Estes Park CO (camping w/ Bach family)
- Hike to Lily's Peak

2 Aug
- camping in Roosevelt Natl Park

NEXT UP (subject to change)
- exploring Boulder and Denver
- Return to Seattle

1 comment:

Lila (pronounced LEE-la) said...

Hi Susan,
How wonderful for you to reconnect with family. I'm going to see a long-lost first cousin on my Dad's side when I get to Las Vegas in Sept. I saw others, same side, in Tampa last winter. It's good to feel that family connection, isn't it.

Lila