Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Archeological sites in the four-corners area

If you've been following this blog you may remember that I visited several indigenous communities in Latin America where people live much as they had prior to the arrival of Europeans. I also visited Mayan and Incan (and pre-Mayan, pre-Incan) ruins and heard theories about life prior to the decline of these cultures. I realized that I'd never been to the pre-Columbian sites in the USA, and decided to make these visits during my current road trip.

Unfortunately the addition of Mad Max the Road Kitten to my travels this summer has meant that I couldn't take as much time exploring as I might have traveling solo. I couldn't leave him in the car to cook, so I had him along with me in a little cat carrier. Kittens don't thermo-regulate very well, so even when the heat wasn't too much for me, little Max panting and wilting and crying to get out. He also has the bladder of a child; he doesn't know he needs to go until he needs to go RIGHT NOW. Poor thing. So... we only took the shorter outdoor walking tours, explored the air-conditioned museums, and I made short stops on the driving tour loop around Mesa Verde. I ended up staying two nights in Santa Fe so Max could stay in the hotel room while I explored Bandelier.

Mesa Verde National Park, CO
(600 AD - 1300 AD) Ancient pueblan communities (Anasazi) lived in structures built on the mesas, in caves and alcoves in the Mesa Verde region of present-day Colorado. The park has 4500 archeological sites including 600 cliff dwellings. I only saw a few of the more easily accessible sites.

(Link to slides of Mesa Verde)

Chaco Culture National Historic Site, NM
(800 AD - 1200 AD) The structures of the Chaco people were different from the other communities in the region, generally constructed in giannt D-shaped walled communities that appeared to be planed from the beginning rather than haphazardly evolved over time. The Chaco were unique in the region with evidence of widespread social structires joining far-reaching communities throughout preent-day northwestern New Mexico. Archeologists believe that in 1050 AD Chaco was the ceremonial, administrative and economic capital of the San Juan Basin, but then the culture died out or moved away shortly later.


(Link to slides of Chaco)

Bandelier National Monument, NM
(1100 AD to 1500 AD) Slightly later than the other sites I visited, the Bandelier region holds over 3000 archeological sites dated from Large villages are the found on the valley floor, with dwellings also carved into the soft canyon walls.

(Link to slides of Bandelier)

Taos Pueblo, NM
While the ancient ruins were interesting enough, I was most moved by my visit to Taos Pueblo. This UNESCO World Heritage site is the oldest continuously inhabited community in the USA, with two five-story adobe structures that are 1000 years old. The Taos people are very protective of their religion and culture, but invite tourists in to guided tours in portions of the ancient pueblo. With no electricity or running water, the villagers use propane or wood for cooking and heat, and drink from the clean river that runs through the pueblo. Only a few hundred people live within the ancient pueblo walls and the remainder of the 2800 community members live primarily within a 3-mile radius of the pueblo. This is the only example I've seen in the USA where a culture has been preserved through Spanish and American colonization and settlement. This very proud community has earned my respect, and I'm encouraged to learn that such spirit has survived.
(Link to slides of Taos Pueblo)

RECAP
2 July
- Arcosanti, Cordes Junction, AZ (guest accomodations)
3 July
- Mesa Verde Natl Park CO(camping)
4 July
- Chaco Culture Natl Historic Park NM
- Farmington NM (camping)
5-6 July
- Santa Fe Motel & Inn (2 nights hotel)
- Bandelier Natl Monument
7 July
- Taos Pueblo, NM
- Eagle Creek CO (camping)

NEXT UP (subject to change)
- Colorado Springs CO
- Milwaukee WI
- Minneapolis MN

No comments: