Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Arequipa, Perú: First Impressions

I'm now enjoying the last country of my six-month Global Vision International (GVI) tour of Latin America. Arequipa, Perú is the furthest south I've even been. We're at an altitude of 2600 M, a little lower than my previous stay in Otavalo Ecuador. Unlike my other homestays, this time I'll be living in a hotel room at Casa de Avila during my six-week stay in town. I take my meals at the hotel, and also have access to the house kitchen to prepare my own food if I choose. The Casa is central to all GVI activities in Arequipa; the Project Manager Carla lives here as well, our spanish lessons are held in the courtyard, the GVI room (for supplies and lesson planning) is here, and all the other volunteers meet here for a ride up to the communities each morning. It's a very comfortable and convenient place to live. There's even a giant tortoise to keep us company in the courtyard.

(Link to pics of the hotel and around town)

Aaron, Maya, Aviv and I spent our first week here in Spanish lessons and then the others left for Chivay, where they will work for the rest of their time in Perú. I've opted to remain in Arequipa and work at a community near town called Sachaca. GVI supports two schools in that community; I'm working at the one called Maldonado. (More about the school i n a later post.) Our foursome will be reunited for each of our adventure trips, including the final week with Machu Pichu and the Nazca lines. Though we're working in different cities for now, it isn't "good-bye" for us quite yet.

We had an opportunity to explore a bit around town before beginning work up at the schools. The most interesting sight so far was the Santa Catalina convent. Founded in 1579, the convent has been home to cloistered nuns continuously through its 430-year history, including 25 who live there today. This "city within a city" was restored in the mid-20th century and portions were opened to the public in 1970. Entrance to the convent is ~$10/US, plus an optional additional ~$10/US for a bilingual guide. Plan for at least 2 hours. www.santacatalina.org.pe

(Link to pics of the convent)

COMING SOON: Chachani bike trip, Colca Canyon trip, and more about the GVI school at Sachaca.

No comments: