Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Settling into Otavalo, Ecuador

I've been here just over a week, but I'm having a hard time settling into my new place in Otavalo. If it's possible, I believe that I'm feeling homesick for Copan!

The GVI Phoenix project has approximately two dozen people on the ground here, working in four different schools surrounding Otavalo. I'm with five others in a community called Larcacunga. We take a city bus 15 minutes out of town, then walk about 40 minutes up the mountain on a dirt/mud road to the school. The scenery is breathtaking (when it isn't raining), so I don't mind the walk. I'm teaching the eight third-graders (7 boys, 1 girl). I partner with Matt until he moves on to Peru at the end of this week, then I'll have the class on my own. I've discovered that I really enjoy teaching math to kids this age. The language and soocial sciences are a bit more challenging as I'm still working on my own Spanish skils... but it's al a good time nonetheless.

The home stay and lifestyle in Otavalo (outside of school hours) is much different than I enjoyed in Honduras, and I'm still having a bit of trouble adjusting to this new place. I'll post more as I settle in a bit and have some more photos to put online.

No comments: